City Attorney's Office
The Office of the City Attorney is committed to providing timely, professional, and competent legal services consistent with the highest professional and ethical standards for the City and its departments with the goal of protecting and advancing the City’s interests in serving the People of Fort Morgan.
The City Attorney is appointed by City Council to represent and act as the chief legal advisor for the City of Fort Morgan for the benefit of its citizens. In this capacity the City Attorney’s Office:
- Provides legal advice and furnishes legal opinions to City Council and City Departments
- Attends and actively participates in all City Council Meetings
- Drafts and Reviews Contracts, Ordinances, Resolutions, and other legal documents
- Represents the City in Civil Litigation and other judicial/administrative proceedings
- Employs and Manages outside legal counsel in specialized areas of law as needed
The City reaps many benefits by employing legal counsel in house as in-house counsel provides: (1) increased flexibility and availability to address legal concerns in a timely manner (2) Deeper understanding and appreciation for the legal needs of the community and (3) Proactive involvement and assessment of ongoing legal matters to mitigate liability thereby resulting in a greater cost savings to the City.
The City Attorney’s Office is committed exclusively to representing the departments and officials of the City of Fort Morgan. As such, our office is not permitted to give legal advice or services to individual citizens. If you are seeking information about your legal rights you should contact a private attorney.